Sat. Jun 19th, 2021

Manchester United are inching closer to the signing of Donny van de Beek after personal terms were agreed and a fee was agreed with Ajax for the midfielder.

The Dutchman has emerged as United’s likely first summer signing after a personal intervention from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. He reportedly hurried the club along over talks to ensure they did not miss out.

Now it appears a deal is on the brink, with talks continuing between all the parties. United’s first offer of €40m (£35.7m) has been rejected. However, the BBC reports an agreement worth €45m (£40m) has now been reached.

A deal is expected to be concluded in the coming days.

Van de Beek is set to sign a five-year deal. That should allow him to be available for United’s opening game of the 2020-21 season, against Crystal Palace on 19 September.

The Red Devils want to bring in another midfielder this summer and Van de Beek is that man.

United have been strongly linked with Aston Villa captain Jack Grealish. However, it would appear that Van de Beek is now very much in their sights.

He is expected to form a tasty midfield three alongside Paul Pogba and Bruno Fernandes.

Jesse Lingard and Andreas Pereira are both expected to move on, with the pair struggling for game time last season.

United have fought off competition from Tottenham and Barcelona to land the player. Spurs had also held talks over a potential deal.

The 23-year-old helped the Amsterdam side reach last year’s Champions League semi-finals and has been linked with a variety of high-profile moves.

 

Ajax manager Erik ten Hag said there had been developments regarding Van de Beek’s future. That’s after the player was conspicuous by his absence from the squad for Saturday’s friendly against Eintracht Frankfurt.

The box-to-box midfielder was heavily rumoured to be on his way to Real Madrid before the coronavirus outbreak. He has scored four goals in Ajax’s run to the 2018-19 Champions League semi-finals. He has 40 in all competitions over the last three seasons.

 

Van der Sar on Van de Beek sale

Donny van de Beek TEAMtalk

Ajax chief executive Edwin van der Sar has also confirmed Van de Beek will be allowed to leave Amsterdam this summer.But the former United goalkeeper insisted in June that it would not be in a cut-price deal.Speaking to Dutch broadcaster NOS, he said: “We are not going to have a sale for the best players we have. We prefer to keep them ourselves.“A crisis is always taken advantage of and some clubs will get into trouble and maybe have to let a player go earlier or for a lower amount. But I think we are in the fortunate circumstance that we have a strong financial policy, not necessarily needing to sell. “Read more here….

 

The post Huge breakthrough made as Man Utd take significant step towards €45m midfielder deal appeared first on teamtalk.com.