The latest speculation across the European media suggests that Manchester United’s pursuit of Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho is back up and running.
Speculation surrounding the future of English international Sancho has of course been rampant for several months now.
On the back of another scintillating campaign with Dortmund, during which he racked up an eye-watering 20 goals and 20 assists, widespread reports have hinted at a potential Premier League return for the 20-year-old.
Recent weeks, though, had seen speculation begin to mount that Sancho in fact looked set to remain at Signal Iduna Park this summer, claims backed by Dortmund director Sebastian Kehl this weekend.
As such, the widespread assumption had since been that Manchester United were set to focus on other targets, before reigniting their pursuit ahead of the 2021/22 campaign.
As outlined above, however, if the latest word doing the rounds in the media over the last 24 hours is to be believed, then the Red Devils’ hopes of sealing a deal for Sancho over the coming weeks may not yet be dead in the water.
In fact, they appear very much alive.
First, on Wednesday afternoon, a number of reliable sources confirmed the news that a ‘breakthrough’ had been made in negotiations between club and player, with United having seemingly clinched a definitive deal with the English international:
There’s been a breakthrough in the impasse over agents’ fees and personal terms where Sancho and United are concerned. Sancho keen to move to #mufc before Oct. 5. But United would still have to agree a fee with Dortmund and that’s not straight forward
— James Ducker (@TelegraphDucker) September 9, 2020
And this, in turn, has since resulted in further claims across Europe, suggesting that the Reds ‘should now feel confident’ in their chances of landing Sancho.
This assurance comes courtesy of the generally reliable Dagbladet.
As per a report from Thursday afternoon:
‘United manager Solskjær is said to have had several conversations with Dortmund star Jadon Sancho. In these conversations, the former City player is said to have expressed a desire to wear the red jersey.’
This ‘desire’ on the part of Sancho is the key to the situation, with Dagbladet even going as far as to suggest that United remain quietly optimistic regarding the possibility of Sancho lining out versus Crystal Palace in the club’s 2nd Premier League outing of the season next weekend.