Updates on the potential availability of a trio of Manchester United stars versus Crystal Palace have come to light on Friday, as the Red Devils continue their preparations for the season ahead.
United vs Palace
Ole Gunnar Solkjaer’s men are set to get their Premier League campaign underway in a little over a week’s time.
The English top-flight of course kicks off this weekend, with 16 of the competition’s 20 clubs set for action.
Manchester United, though, along with neighbours City, were granted a late return to action, on the back of their European endeavours last month.
As such, the Reds’ opener will come on Saturday the 19th, in a meeting with Crystal Palace at Old Trafford.
Before they return to competitive action, however, United are first set to continue their pre-season preparations in a meeting with Aston Villa on Saturday.
As such, ahead of his side’s final friendly outing of the year, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer this afternoon provided a fitness update on his squad.
First up came the latest on Luke Shaw, after the English stopper missed the season’s run-in last time out with an ankle issue.
In a boost for the Manchester giants, though, Shaw is said to be ‘looking really good’ in training, meaning he is set to feature versus Villa tomorrow afternoon:
“For me, Luke is looking really good in training. He has come back, looking strong, and will play in the friendly against Villa,” Solskjaer explained during an interview with United’s official website.
The news on Paul Pogba, on the other hand, was a little more mixed.
Solskjaer revealed that, though the World Cup winner has returned to training since testing positive for Covid-19 two weeks ago, his potential participation versus Crystal Palace next weekend remains somewhat up in the air:
Paul’s had a couple of training sessions so he’s lost out on a few sessions because of the virus, of course.
But Paul is quick to get fit. Of course, he worked really hard to get back after lockdown last time and played the majority of the games.
Hopefully, he’ll be ready for next weekend. I am not 100 per cent sure though.
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) September 11, 2020
Finally, came an update on Mason Greenwood.
Young attacker Greenwood was of course at the centre of a major controversy earlier this week, after being sent home from international duty by England boss Gareth Southgate for failing to adhere to Covid-19 safety guidelines.
As a result, the 18-year-old is currently training away from the rest of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s squad, with it currently unclear whether he will be available for selection for Man United’s Premier League opener:
[@sistoney67] says Mason Greenwood must train away from his team-mates after breaking the ‘secure bubble’ created around the England squad. He has to undergo medical protocols, which means he must stay away from his team-mates until it is safe for him to rejoin the squad. #MUFC
— Ben Dinnery (@BenDinnery) September 11, 2020