Man Utd have ‘held talks’ with a £40m-rated winger previously linked with Liverpool who could become a temporary alternative to Jadon Sancho.
With Monday’s deadline for purchasing players from abroad looming, the prospects of seeing Sancho in the red of Man Utd this season appear bleak despite their continued efforts.
The club have shown their willingness to get creative in the transfer market to bolster their ranks in recent times, however, with the loan acquisition of Odion Ighalo in January a prime example.
Now, according to Sky Sports reporter James Cooper, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men could take a similar route in the coming weeks.
The Senegalese star had been heavily linked with Liverpool earlier this window, though the Reds ultimately opted to sign Diogo Jota instead.
Cooper states that any potential move would likely be in a loan capacity. This would be to ensure the club is in prime position to move for Sancho once again next summer.
“Ismaila Sarr is someone that Manchester United have talked to Watford about, there have been discussions,” said the reporter.
“But again, they’re not looking at a player like that as a permanent fixture, as someone they’re going to bring in and make a Manchester United long-term prospect.
“They want a loan signing, they don’t want someone permanently.
“So I think, although that could go onto the other deadline in terms of the Championship, it would be a worst-case scenario rather than a best-case scenario, which is Jadon Sancho.”
Sarr enjoyed a superb debut season in England last season, with the highlight his two-goal display that ended Liverpool’s unbeaten run in the league.
Mourinho hits back at critics of Man Utd reign
Meanwhile, Jose Mourinho is adamant he met expectations while at Manchester United ahead of his latest return to Old Trafford with Tottenham on Sunday.
Mourinho spent two-and-a-half years in the United hotseat, before being sacked in December 2018. During his time in charge, he won the Europa League and League Cup. He also finished second in the Premier League and was beaten in the 2018 FA Cup final.
He left later that year after things turned sour in his third season. United fans though gave him a warm reception on his first visit back with Spurs last December.
The Portuguese believes he did only what was possible in his time there.
“I expected that, I never had problems in the club,” he said of the supporters’ reaction. “The fans, they know that I gave everything that I could.
The post Man Utd ‘hold talks’ with Liverpool wing target as Sancho stopgap appeared first on teamtalk.com.